KNOXVILLE, Tenn. --- North Carolina will play its second tough road contest of the season Sunday when the Tar Heels visit Tennessee at Thompson-Boling Arena at 1 p.m. UNC is 7-0 on the year after a 57-54 win over No. 15 Ohio State Wednesday night in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Tennessee is 5-1 on the season following an 88-81 overtime victory over Middle Tennessee on Wednesday.
UNC is ranked No. 22 in the latest Associated Press poll and receiving votes in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll. Tennessee is ranked No. 16 in the AP poll and No. 14 in the coaches' poll.
AT A GLANCE
Records: North Carolina 7-0, Tennessee 5-1
Rankings: North Carolina is ranked No. 22 in the AP poll and receiving votes in the coaches' poll. Tennessee is ranked No. 16 in the AP poll and No. 14 in the coaches' poll.
TV: Fox Sports South/FS Carolinas. Bob Kesling (play-by-play) and Debbie Antonelli (analyst) have the call. The game can be seen on TWC channel 50 in the Chapel Hill area.
Radio: Tar Heel Sports Network, a division of Learfield Communications. Walter Storholt (play-by-play) has the call. A link to the live stream can be found at GoHeels.com.
On The Web: GoHeels.com • Twitter: @UNCWBB • @UNCWBBCoach
TENNESSEE SERIES NOTES
• North Carolina is 3-14 all-time against Tennessee and 0-6 against the Lady Vols in Knoxville.
• The teams last met during the 2007-08 season, an 83-79 Tennessee win in Knoxville. That game was the second in a home-and-home series that also featured a 70-57 Carolina victory in 2006.
• After losing 12 of 13 meetings between 1977 and 1998, Carolina is 2-2 in the series since 2005. Carolina defeated the Lady Vols in the 2006 Cleveland Regional final, 75-63, to advance to the 2006 Final Four in Boston.
• Of teams that have played Carolina at least 10 times, only Tennessee (14-3), NC State (51-43) and Old Dominion (12-7) have a winning record against the Tar Heels.
• Hatchell, a 1974 graduate of Carson-Newman, earned a master's degree in physical education from Tennessee in 1975. Hatchell also coached the UT junior varsity team in 1974-75, legendary head coach Pat Summitt's first season with the Lady Vols.
LAST TIME OUT: UNC 57, Ohio State 54
CHAPEL HILL --- Tierra Ruffin-Pratt scored four of her 11 points in the final minute -- including a stolen in-bounds pass and layup with 27 seconds remaining -- to help No. 22 UNC past No. 15 Ohio State, 57-54, Wednesday night in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Xylina McDaniel and Waltiea Rolle each had 11 for the Tar Heels (7-0), who led by as many as 16 in the second half before a furoius Buckeye rally.
WINNING WITH DEFENSE
Carolina has been tenacious on the defensive end so far in 2012-13, holding opponents to just 54.3 points per game. Wednesday's win over Ohio State was a showcase for how defense is driving this year's Tar Heels. The 57-54 victory marked just the second time since 2005 that UNC won a game in which it scored less than 60 points. Since the beginning of the 2005-06 campaign, the only other sub-60 victory for Carolina was last season's 56-37 win at Virginia Tech. UNC's last win over a ranked opponent with less than 60 points was a 56-51 win over No. 1 Duke in 2005.