UNC 95, Mississippi State 49
Nov. 19, 2012
- Carolina won its 10th straight game in Maui and its 12th in the last 13 games in the event. The Tar Heels are now 14-2 in the Maui Invitational.
- Roy Williams's team are now 12-1 in Maui. Overall his teams are 679-169 and 261-68 at North Carolina.
- The Tar Heels scored a season-high 95 points and shot a season-best 47.4 percent from the floor.
- Carolina made 15 three-pointers, the fourth-most in a game in UNC history and the most since making 16 against Maryland on Feb. 2, 2009.
- Leslie McDonald scored a career-high 21 points and made a career-best six three-point field goals.
- The Tar Heels made 10 three-pointers combined in the first two and a half games this season, but have connected on 22 threes in the last three halves against Long Beach (7 in second half) and Mississippi State (8 in first half and 7 in second half).
- Sophomore guard P.J. Hairston scored a season-high 18 points, making 4 of 7 from three-point range. He made a career-high seven field goals and also blocked a career-high three shots. Hairston has 32 points in the two games on the road trip.
- Sophomore center Desmond Hubert scored a career-high six points. He had not scored in he first three games this season. He added a pair of blocks to up his team lead in that category to seven for the season.
- Senior guard Dexter Strickland made his first three-pointer since Feb. 23, 2011, and finished with 10 points, five assists, no turnovers and a career-high six steals. He previously tied his career high with four steals in the game at Long Beach State on Friday.
- Carolina had five players score in double figures for the first time this year. McDonald (21) led the way and was joined by P.J. Hairston (18), Reggie Bullock (16), James Michael McAdoo (10) and Strickland (10).
- Bullock scored 16 points on 5 of 6 shooting from the floor, including 4 of 5 from three-point range. Bullock has made 10 threes in the last three games.
- Carolina held Mississippi State to 20 percent shooting from the floor in the first half, the lowest by a percentage in a half since Marquette shot 20 percent in the first half of the NCAA Sweet 16 game in 2011.
- The Bulldogs shot 28.3 percent from the floor, the second time in four games UNC's defense has held the opponents under 30 percent. None of the four opponents have shot better than 40 percent in a game this season.
- The 46-point margin of victory is UNC's largest since a 99-49 win over Nicholls on Dec. 19, 2011.
- Carolina committed a season-low 12 turnovers and has committed 25 in two games on the road trip.
- The Tar Heels went 15 of 32 from three-point range. The last time Carolina attempted 30 three-pointers in a game was March 19, 2006, when the shot 30 three-pointers in an NCAA Tournament loss to George Mason.