Top-ranked and No. 1-seeded Carolina advanced to its fourth consecutive final four and fifth in six years by beating No. 11 Stanford 4-1 Saturday in the NCAA Tournament first round and No. 8 Old Dominion 3-1 Sunday in the second round, with both games played in Chapel Hill.
UNC is making its 29th appearance in the NCAA Tournament field. The Tar Heels are 49-22 all-time in the tournament.
On the air
Friday's semifinal games will be streamed live on NCAA.com. Live stats also will be available, both at NCAA.com and GoHeels.com. Fans also can follow the Tar Heels on Twitter (UNCFieldHockey) and Facebook (UNCfieldhockey).
Fast Facts on UNC
2012 record: 22-1 overall, 5-0 ACC
Current NFHCA poll ranking: No. 1
Head Coach: Karen Shelton (32nd season at UNC)
Record at UNC and overall: 549-139-9
Staff: Grant Fulton, Associate Head Coach; Guy Cathro, Assistant Coach; Jackie Kintzer, Volunteer Assistant Coach; Teryn Brill, Director of Operations
Team Captains: Caitlin Van Sickle, Captain; Kelsey Kolojejchick, Co-Captain; Katie Plyler, Co-Captain
2011 Finish: 23-2 (5-0 ACC), ACC Champion, NCAA Runner-Up
2011 NCAA Tournament: Beat Ohio 4-0; Beat Michigan 5-1; Beat UConn 4-3 in 2OT; Lost to Maryland 3-2 in OT
NCAA Titles: Six (1989, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2007, 2009)
Tar Heels in the NCAA Tournament
- UNC is making its 29th appearance in the NCAA Tournament field. The only program to have made more appearances is ODU, which made its 30th this year.
- The Tar Heels are playing in the NCAA semifinal round for the fourth year in a row, the fifth time in the past six years, and the 17th time in school history.
- UNC is the top overall seed in the tournament for the second year in a row.
- The Tar Heels are 49-22 in the NCAA Tournament, a winning percentage of .690, fourth among all programs.
- The second round game against Old Dominion was Carolina's 71st NCAA Tournament contest, all under coach Karen Shelton. That figure is tied with ODU for the NCAA record for programs, but Shelton already holds the record for coaches. ODU coach Beth Anders, who took time away from her team to coach the U.S. National Team, is second at 66.
- UNC's current total of 49 NCAA Tournament wins ranks third all-time, behind Maryland (53) and ODU (50).
- Shelton is tied with Maryland's Missy Meharg for all-time NCAA Tournament wins with 49.
- The Tar Heels have played in the NCAA Championship game in four of the last five years, winning titles in 2007 and 2009 and finishing as the runner-up to Maryland in overtime in 2010 and 2011.