CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - North Carolina is winding down its regular season, with two of the Tar Heels's last three matches being played this weekend. UNC will host Virginia Tech on Friday at 7 p.m. and Virginia for Senior Night on Saturday at 5 p.m.
Earlier this week, head coach Joe Sagula sat down with GoHeels.com to recap the Tar Heels' matches at Georgia Tech and Clemson this past weekend. He also previewed these upcoming matches, giving a breakdown of what the Tar Heels need to do to keep up their momentum into the postseason. Watch Sagula's video here.
All Carolina volleyball matches are played at Carmichael Arena and have free admission.
Follow the Matches:
- This will be the 24th match between North Carolina and Virginia Tech and the 45th against Virginia.
- The Tar Heels are 17-6 all-time against the Hokies, sweeping them earlier this season 3-0 for their first win in Blacksburg since a 3-0 match in 2008.
- UNC has an all-time record of 40-14 against the Cavaliers, topping UVA earlier this season in a close 3-2 match in Charlottesville.
- UNC enters the match with a 22-5 (13-4) record. Virginia Tech is 15-12 (8-9), and Virginia s 9-19 (3-14).
- Carolina has not lost to Virginia Tech at home since a 3-1 defeat in 2006.
- The Tar Heels are undefeated at home this season, 12-0, and have won nine of their last 10 matches, including defeating top-25 squads Florida State and Miami.
- Freshman Paige Neuenfeldt is fifth in the ACC with blocks (1.16/s) and 10th in hitting percentage (.317).
- Sophomore Ece Taner is eighth in digs with 3.96/s, and senior Cora Harms is eighth in assists 7.72/s.
- North Carolina ranks second in assists (13.12/s) and third in the ACC for kills (14.03/s).
- The Tar Heels are fourth in opponent hitting (.174), blocks (2.45/s) and digs (15.30/s).
- Senior Morgan O'Neil is fourth in digs (4.45/s), and sophomore Jordan Fish is fourth in assists (10.05/s).
- Sophmore Kathryn Caine (.364), senior Cara Baarendse (.364)and junior Victoria Hamsher (.346) are No. 5-6-7 in the ACC for individual attack.
- The Hokies are third in team attack (.252). They are fifth in kills (13.30/s) as well as assists (12.48/s).
- The Cavaliers are fifth in the ACC in service aces, averaging 1.22/s.
- Junior Emily Rottman fifth in digs with 4.45/s, and sophomore Tori Janowski is ninth in assists (7.54/s).
- Rottman has the highest single-match digs this season in the ACC, with 40 against Clemson on 11/3/12.
- Virginia has the highest team attack (.390) in a five-set match in a 11/2/12 match vs. Georgia Tech.