CHAPEL HILL --- North Carolina will seek a spot in the Preseason WNIT championship game when the Tar Heels host Georgetown Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Carmichael Arena. UNC advanced to the semifinals with wins over Duquesne and Davidson, while the Hoyas defeated Sacred Heart and No. 10 Delaware to earn a trip to Chapel Hill. The winner of the UNC-Georgetown game will face the winner of the Iowa-Middle Tennessee semifinal on Sunday, Nov. 18.
AT A GLANCE
Records: North Carolina 2-0, Georgetown 2-0
Rankings: North Carolina is receiving votes in the AP poll. Georgetown is No. 25 in the AP poll and is receiving votes in the coaches' poll.
TV: GoHeels TV. Today's game will be streamed live via GoHeels TV at GoHeels.com.
Radio: Tar Heel Sports Network, a division of Learfield Communications. Walter Storholt (play-by-play) has the call. A link to the live stream can be found at GoHeels.com.
On The Web: GoHeels.com • Twitter: @UNCWBB • @UNCWBBCoach
GEORGETOWN SERIES NOTES
• North Carolina is 1-0 all-time against Georgetown. The Tar Heels won the lone meeting in 1995, an 82-61 decision in Greensboro, N.C.
PRESEASON WNIT NOTES
• Carolina is playing in the Preseason WNIT for the second time in 2012 after winning the tournament title in 2008.
• The Tar Heels are 6-0 overall in the event, with a 5-0 record in Chapel Hill.
• UNC defeated Western Carolina, VCU, Xavier and Oklahoma to claim the 2008 title. The first three games were held in the Smith Center due to construction at Carmichael Arena. The Tar Heels defeated No. 2 Oklahoma, 80-79, in Norman, in the final and started the 2008-09 season 17-0. Jessica Breland scored 31 points to lead Carolina and earned tournament MVP honors. Teammate Rashanda McCants was also named to the all-tournament team.
LAST TIME OUT: UNC 62, Duquesne 58
CHAPEL HILL --- Tierra Ruffin-Pratt scored a career-high 24 points and North Carolina rallied from an 11-point halftime deficit to defeat Duquesne, 62-58, Sunday afternoon at Carmichael Arena. Krista Gross and Waltiea Rolle added double-doubles for the Tar Heels, who will host Georgetown Wednesday at 7 for a spot in the Preseason WNIT final.
McDANIEL EARNS FIRST WEEKLY ACC AWARD
North Carolina freshman forward Xylina McDaniel earned the first 2012-13 Atlantic Coast Conference Women's Basketball Rookie of the Week honor, the league office announced Monday. McDaniel averaged 12.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in her first two collegiate games. The freshman from Columbia, S.C., led the Tar Heels with 18 points and 12 rebounds for her first career double-double in a 70-59 season-opening win over Davidson in the first round of the Preseason WNIT. McDaniel added seven points and five rebounds in 17 minutes in a 62-58 win over Duquesne to help the Tar Heels advance to the Preseason WNIT Semifinals.
TAR HEELS IN CARMICHAEL ARENA
• Carolina is 410-93 all-time in Carmichael, including a 37-10 record since the building re-opened after being closed for renovations from March 2008 to December 2009.
• The Tar Heels have won at least 13 home games in each of the last 11 seasons, including a school-record 18 during an undefeated 2007-08 home campaign.
• UNC has lost just 19 home games since the start of the 2001-02 season. The Tar Heels have been even more stingy against non-conference opponents, losing at home just twice outside of league play in the last decade.